Exploring Entertainment in Florida's 850 & Beyond
In North Walton lies a quite little town called DeFunkiak Springs. The downtown area is surrounded by Victorian styled houses and the whole place goes all out with Christmas lights.
The Florida Chautauqua Assembly sets out to preserve the history of DeFuniak Springs and bring new learning opportunities to the area. Every year in late January they do an extended event weekend. They bring in a special keynote speaker, promote the arts, and get area schools involved.
Here are the details for 2014’s event.
· 2014 Dates: Thursday, January 23 through Sunday, January 26
· Theme: “A Journey into the World of Motion Pictures”
· Featured Keynote Speaker: Demond Wilson (aka “Lamont Sanford), co-star of the 1970s hit TV Series “Sanford and Son”
· Event Description: “A historic 4-day educational event featuring famous keynote speakers, educational breakout sessions, performance teas, evening dinner performances and exhibits relating to an annual theme. The 2014 theme is ‘A Journey into the World of Motion Pictures’ featuring Demond Wilson, co-star of the 1970s hit TV series ‘Sanford and Son.’”
· Prices: Pay as you go ($8 for breakout sessions, $15 for keynote presentations, $20 for performance teas, $25 for evening dinner performances, $8 for breakfasts, $8 for lunches (lunch price may vary for those ordering from on-site food vendors.)
· Passport (money saving book of tickets): $135. Money-saving book of tickets which includes Welcome Party, priority seating at Demond Wilson’s historic presentation, 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, choice of 2 tea reservations (or substitute one tea for a Parlor Reading in an historic cottage which includes light food and beverages!), choice of all breakout sessions, evening dinner performances.
· Platinum Passport: $185. Same as above PLUS VIP Backstage Pass go backstage to meet and have a picture made with actor Demond Wilson, receive a personally autographed copy of his book, Second Banana, and to reserve seating for his keynote presentation!
· Free Exhibits/Free Events:
o Home Depot is doing a Free Birdhouse Building “Kids Clinic” for 750 children in the Lake Yard (Historic district) Amphitheater on Saturday, January 25, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
o Civil War Camp and battle reenactments – DeFuniak Springs Historic District, Friday, January 24 – Sunday, January 26, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
o Florida Frontiersmen Settlement Camp – Free Food! – DeFuniak Springs Historic District, Friday, January 24 – Sunday, January 26, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
o Tin Can Campers Vintage RV/Camp show – DeFuniak Springs Historic District, Friday, January 24 – Sunday, January 26, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
o Chautauqua Cruisers Car Show – DeFuniak Springs Historic District, Saturday, January 25, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
o Plein Air Paint Out (25 to 50 artists painting and selling artwork in the historic district of buildings they are painting) – DeFuniak Springs Historic District, Friday, January 24 – Sunday, January 26, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
o Chautauqua’s Student Museum: “Groundbreaking Television Shows” – DeFuniak Springs Historic District (Chautauqua Hall of Brotherhood), Friday, January 24 – Sunday, January 26, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
o See Demond Wilson: Tree Planting Ceremony (Friday, January 24), 11:30 a.m. – Lake Yard – Demond Wilson joins President Chris Mitchell in planting a tree in Wilson’s honor. Free to the public. – Historic District, Chautauqua Hall of Brotherhood, 95 Circle Drive, DeFuniak Springs
o Presentations on Enrolling for Health Insurance with HealthCare.gov sponsored by PanCare of Florida, Inc. – Friday, January 24 and Saturday, January 25, 10:45 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. DeFuniak Springs Historic District, Lakeside Building, 1290 Circle Drive, DeFuniak Springs.
· Website: www.FloridaChautauquaAssembly.org
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/floridachautauquaassembly
· Phone: (850) 892-7613
Pingback: “Sanford and Son” Co-Star to Address 2014 Florida Chautauqua Assembly | 850 Music & Entertainment