The Best of the Best This Weekend!
Mattie Kelly Arts Center at NWF State College
It’s the “best of the best” as the NWFSC Fine & Performing Arts Division presents its Spring 2014 Honors Recital and annual Dance Facets event to showcase the most successful Northwest Florida State College student performances of the semester!
The Honors Recital
is free of charge and held Friday, April 25 at 3:00 p.m
. in the Tyler Recital Hall (Music Wing of the Mattie Kelly Arts Center). The event is free of charge and open to the public. Enjoy the outstanding student vocalists performing everything from classical works to popular Broadway tunes from shows like “9 to 5 The Musical”, “Miss Saigon” and “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels” as well as a piano solo of Chopin music! Participants are voted on by NWFSC Fine Arts faculty. Selections to be performed at the recital include:
- Vaga Luna (Vincenzo Bellini) – Sivu Schlegel, Baritone
- Ch’io mai vi possa from “Siroe, re di Persia” (George F. Handel) – Katie Pickler, Soprano
- The Trumpet Shall Sound from “The Messiah”(George F. Handel) – Donovan Black, Baritone
- Attempt from Love’s Sickness (Henry Purcell) – Victoria Bishop, Soprano
- The Vagabond (Ralph Vaughan Williams)- Jason Mueller, Baritone
- Nocturne in E minor, Op. 72 No. 1 (Frédéric Chopin)- Jacob Lytehaven, Piano
- Here I Am from “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels” (David Yazbek)- Mallory Olds, Soprano
- My Party Dress from “Henry and Mudge” (Brian Lowdermilk)- Danielle Fox, Mezzo-Soprano
- Lonely Town from “On the Town” (Leonard Bernstein)- Sean Royal, Baritone
- Get Out and Stay Out from “9 to 5: The Musical” (Dolly Parton)- Meghan Erlacher, Mezzo-Soprano
- Into the Fire from “The Scarlet Pimpernel” (Frank Wildhorn)- Javonte Coleman, Tenor
- I Still Believe from “Miss Saigon” (Claude-Michel Schönberg)- Katie Pickler, Soprano & Mallory Olds, Soprano
For information, contact the NWFSC Fine Arts Office at 729-5382.
DANCE FACETS April 25 & 26
Mattie Kelly Arts Center – Mainstage
NWFSC dance students showcase their superb talents in jazz, ballet, modern, and classical dance during a 2-day dance concert experience “Dance Facets”on Friday, April 25 & Saturday, 26 at 7:30 p.m. in the mainstage theater of the Mattie Kelly Arts Center on the Niceville Campus of Northwest Florida State College.
Tickets for “Dance Facets 2014” are on sale now in-person or by phone or web for $20 adult and $15 youth from the center’s Box Office. NWFSC students may request 1 free ticket per student ID in-person from the Box Office only. Box Office Hours are 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday and from 6:00 to 7:30 pm prior to each night of the event. Call (850) 729-6000 or purchase online at www.MattieKellyArtsCenter.org
“The work and background preparation that goes into this dance extravaganza is tremendous. It’s truly something for all ages and a real visual treat for everyone – even if you don’t know much about dance, ” said Joseph Taylor, professor of dance and head of the college’s dance programs. “Dance Facets” showcases the best of the best. We hold very competitive auditions each year to select the performers, then those selected work for months on their choreography and dance numbers.” The 2-day show also includes dance numbers by NWFSC faculty, original choreography and lighting design by scholarship students.
Students selected to perform in Dance Facets 2014 include:
CRESTVIEW – Kalyn Sawyer
DESTIN – Marisha Brown, Heather Connelly, Chloe Hagle, Katie Moore, and Lyndsi Stevens
DeFUNIAK SPRINGS – Haylee Green
FORT WALTON BEACH – Caroline Brehm, Taegan Dennis
, Rebecca Jollie, Max Murdock, Stephanie Oldnettle, Sean Royal, and Shelley Theiss
MARY ESTHER – Javonte Coleman and Jessica O’Sullivan
NAVARRE – Jonathan Carter and Ashley Carter-Fair
NICEVILLE – Jonathan Delgado, Vini Febus, Kyrsten Johnson, Samuel Melecio-Zambrano, Zachary Phillips, Ashley Robinson, Sivu Schlegel, Amie Urban, Wesley Urbanczyk, and Carla Von Kaenel
SHALIMAR- Brooke Austin, Nathaniel Beechum, and Zachary Odom
|50th Anniversary Event — Coming Soon!
The Beatles: Abbey Road
May 15 @ 7:30 pm
White Tie Rock Ensemble & NW Florida Symphony Youth Orchestra
Mattie Kelly Arts Center – Mainstage Theater